Recently few attempts of covalent immobilisation of room temperature ionic liquids for catalytic purpose were reported in literature . It employs immobilisation of ionic liquid having sol-gel precursor as cation [2, 3]. Here analogous concept of designing highly dispersed ionic liquid modified electrode will be presented. The thin film preparation employs sol-gel processing of sol composed of ionic liquid with 1,3-alkylimidazolatotrimethoxysilane cation and tetramethoxysilane on ITO electrode surface. In order to increase electrode reaction efficiency for some experiments this step was preceded by deposition of the ITO nanoparticles (21 nm diameter) by subsequent immersion and withdrawal from their suspension . It has been found that the prepared electrodes acts as anion exchanger for inorganic – Fe(CN)63-  and organic - 2,2’-azino-bis-(3-ethylbenzothiazoline) sulfonate (ABTS2-) anions. Silicate confined ionic liquid electrode preconcentration ability and kinetics of this process depends on composition of the film and type of the anion. It is significantly larger than for electrode modified with non-processed precursor. The amount of absorbed ABTS2- anion is substantially increased on the ITO nanoparticles modified electrodes.
- M.H. Valkenberg; C. deCastro and W.F. Hölderich. Green Chem., 2002, 4, 88.
- R. Ciriminna; P. Hesemann; J.l.J.E. Moreau; M. Carraro; S. Campestrini; M. Pagliaro. Chem. Eur. J., 2006, 12, 5220.
- C.P. Mehnert; R. A.Cook; N.C. Dispenziere; M. Afeworki. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2002, 124, 12932.
- J. Niedziolka; K. Szot; F. Marken; M. Opallo. Electroanalysis, 2007, 19, 155.
- P. Tien; L.-K. Chau; Y.-Y. Shieh; W.-C. Lin; G.-T. Wei. Chem. Mater. 2001, 13, 1124.