To start using the Image Manager, click on the insert image icon,
this will bring up a new dialog like
Figure 1. Insert image icon, click to start the Image
On-line editor processes text stored on a remote
server. Therefore images must be
uploaded to the server in order to be seen in the
editor. This is done by the "Image Manager" button (Fig.1). New window
will open. Browse and upload buttons will be available. Please follow
- Click the "Image Manager"
icon and wait for new window to be opened
- Click "Browse" button and select image file to be inserted
- Click "Upload" button and wait for a thumbnail of the image to
appear on the list of pictures
- Click on the thumbnail of the image
- Adjust size/position parameters if necessary
- Click OK button - the image should appear in the abstract
Common mistake: images moved by copy/paste from a
local wordprocessor will not appear beacause copy/paste provides only a
link to the image on your local machine, which is not accessible from
the remote server. Please use procedure described above to insert
Figure 2. The Image Manager interface.
Current Directory - Directory listing drop down,
shows the current viewing folder. Selecting a different directory
will change the view to the selected directory. You can also click
the "Up" button to go up the directory.
Create New Folder
- You can create new folders/directories in the
current directory. This bring forward a new dialog asking for the new
- This is the main film strip view of the current
directory. Only images and folders will be shown. All non image files
will be hidden. All temporary files and folders will also be hidden.
Select Image by clicking on the thumbnail. The image
details suc as the width, height, filename are updated in the fields
above and near marker 4 in
Browser Folders by clicking on the folders.
Edit Image by clicking on the "pencil" icon , see
marker a) in
Delete Image or Folder by clicking on the trash can
icon, see marker b) in
- To upload a new image to the current folder, click
on the browser button to bring up a file selection dialog. Select the
file to upload and click on the "upload" button. Depending on the
filesize and connection speed, it may take a while to upload.
Insert Image into editor
- After selecting the desired image, click "OK" to
insert the image into text. You can modify the parameters of the
image after insertion by selecting the image (click on the image) and
then click on the "insert image" icon (see
Figure 1) to bring up the insert image dialog
The Image Editor
The user interface in
Figure 4 is displayed after clicking on the edit
buttons (see marker 2 in
Figure 2) in the Manager. The interface will
centre it on the screen when the image is completly loaded.
Figure 4. The Image Editor user interface.
The main editor interface is divided into 3 areas.
- A vertical toolbar with a list of available tools:
Measure, Marker, and
- The options for each of the tools are shown here. For example,
click on the crop icon to see the crop options.
- This is the image that you are editing. The image is not saved on
to the system until you explicitly save it.
Figure 5. Cropping the image.
Figure 7. Rotating the image.
Figure 8. Measuring the distance and angle between to
Figure 9. Saving the image.
Author: Xiang Wei Zhuo, email: